Monday, April 2, 2007

SOUND

I love music and I love to talk and laugh and listen. Needless to say, sound is essential to my existence. I think most human beings will understand when I say that our lives have certain sonic qualities. They are channeled emotionally. There are sounds that drive us crazy and sounds that make us want to dance. The sound of a crying baby makes me very upset deep down. A laughing baby, however, will make me extraordinarily happy. Some sounds will even invoke hunger in me, for example the simmering of a meatloaf just out of the oven. The five senses work together that way. Sound, as well as sight, helps define our space. Environmental sounds color the backdrop of our lives. I try to fill this backdrop will my favrotie music and the laughter of the people that I love. To me no sound is sweeter than the latter. Except maybe insane farts, but these just lead to more laughs. I also enjoy hearing and comparing heartbeats and breathing during certain activities. And rollicking rollercoaster wooshes. And gasps. I see it as applying our own organic rhythms to help us live in a sonic world. Vibration is key. Rhythm may be even more essential. I haven't figured it out yet. Has anyone?

No comments: